Position: Communications Manager
The mission of CURYJ (“Courage”) is to end cycles of violence and poverty by uplifting young people of color that have been impacted by incarceration. CURYJ believes youth and young adults are the experts on the issues affecting their lives and must be involved in developing policies that impact them.
The Communications Manager is an integral member of the team and will work collaboratively to develop and implement communication strategies to broaden the impact of CURYJ’s programs. This person leads our communications efforts and connects our messaging and social media voice to our larger vision for self-sustainability and self-determination. Communications is a major component of this position but we see it as an integrated strategy into all that we do.
- Oversee the website and content by working with staff and/or consultants to maintain and update current content as needed
- Coordinate external communications activities i.e. quarterly newsletters, press releases and marketing materials
- Crafting media strategies that align with our strategic plan and CURYJ’s local, regional, and statewide campaigns. This would include conducting a situation analysis, defining clear goals, planning action, and monitoring the process and outcomes of the strategy
- Coordinate messaging and framing of CURYJ’s local, regional, and statewide campaigns
- Document CURYJ history, ongoing accomplishments and develop materials targeting different audiences
- Co-create annual report in conjunction with Director of Development and Executive Director
- Create messaging for long-term vision based on our strategic plan
- Create messaging for the ecosystem of our current work
- Create content for program brochures and coordinate printing and distribution plan
- Work with staff, youth and consultants to create annual communications plan and take lead on implementing and managing the plan
- Support leadership team with creating and maintaining system for internal communications
- Manage the training of staff to develop technical skills related to the communications plan
- Organize communications, messaging and digital media training as needed
- Coordinate speaking engagements and ensure staff and youth are properly prepared
- Manage social media accounts
- Coordinate public relations efforts
- Excellent writing skills
- Experience in digital organizing, social media, blogs, text, SMS, and web based outreach
- Experience with design programs and basic layout skills
- Experience in crafting and implementing media strategies for campaigns
- Be a self-starter and team player
- Have a strong political understanding of racial, juvenile and criminal injustice
- Understanding of Oakland and the broader Alameda County
- Understanding of California policies that have criminalized communities of color
- Experience working with low-income communities of color and formerly incarcerated people
Compensation and Benefits:
This position is full-time exempt. Compensation is depending upon experience (DOE). CURYJ provides a generous benefits package, an excellent working environment that encourages teamwork and recognizes high-quality work.
Please send cover letter, resume, two writing samples, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. The position is open until filled.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, educational background, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic. We encourage formerly incarcerated people to apply.