Hear from CURYJ youth and family members about the impact of our programs and community culture:
CURYJ is at the forefront of the movement to prevent violence through indigenous healing practices and criminal justice policy reform. To sustain this work we need to expand our programming, and to do so requires funding. Our staff is directly impacted by the prison system, and CURYJ provides employment to individuals who often have few other job opportunities. Your investment in CURYJ and these young leaders will provide positive alternatives to incarceration for them and the communities they regularly serve.
CURYJ in the time of COVID
Within hours of the shelter-in-place order CURYJ was operational. Once the COVID-19 crisis was evident we shifted our operations to virtual organizing and continued providing direct services. Despite our ability to keep our (virtual) doors open we are finding that there are grave urgent needs for the organization, its staff, and youth leaders to keep working. These needs include:
- Operating funds to keep our payroll on track while funders payments come in slower than normal
- Basic needs resources such as food vouchers and hotel/ housing vouchers
- High-speed internet access at the homes of our staff and youth/ young adult leaders
- Hardware technology for our youth participants – we need at least 20 chromebooks so that our community youth/ young adult leaders can stay connected and organizing
- Increase Zoom, Hustle, or other web based communication licenses
We know that the worst has yet to come. Our communities are on the frontline of this global pandemic and economic crisis. Please support our work during this critical time so that we can support our most vulnerable community members and build community power. Become a monthly sustainer or make a generous one time donation here.